Sunday, December 5, 2010

Flying Ants!

It’s the first big rain of the season, and I try (unsuccessfully) to stay dry on my walk home, jumping over puddles like a not-so-graceful kangaroo mouse. I arrive home completely drenched and muddy, but entirely happy. I was the kid who had to be pulled out of her rubber boots in the middle of the biggest puddle on the farm.

Later that evening, I’m called from my house by my neighbor, Katie. “Staphy!! Come and see the ants!” I’m puzzled as to why she sounds so excited – ants are everywhere, always, and there are plenty of fascinating insects to take your attention away from an ordinary ant.

Regardless, I am intrigued, and dash outside to see what the excitement is all about. I’m met with millions of flying ants zipping through the air, and Katie in the middle of them, a huge smile across her face. All you can see is flying ants, all you can hear is flying ants, all you can feel is flying ants! I nervously venture out my door to join her in this amazing flying frenzy, and feel as though these insects could at any moment coordinate an organized attack and lift the both of us right off the ground. I resist the urge to run inside and hide under my net. Katie explains to me that this happens once a year, after the first big rain, and everyone is so happy to see these little creatures. I ask if she eats them. “No, these are just the small ones, but I’m still happy to see them!” “Do they bite?” I ask. She assures me they don’t. We chat a bit more then go back to preparing supper.

A few minutes later, Katie calls again, this time not really making any words because she is running and laughing. I run outside, and she is awkwardly trying to catch some flying thing outside my door. She is successful, and brings her trophy to show me. “This is the one you eat”, she explains breathlessly as she shows me the inch-long flying ant (termite) in her hand. She tells me that she personally doesn’t like them, but makes them for her husband (it’s his favourite). This is followed by a sharp yelp, as the “non-biting” flying ant bites her thumb. She throws it on the ground, and we both burst out laughing.





No comments:

Post a Comment