Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Student Reflections

Below is one of the first-year student’s reflections after a particularly tough clinical day. I was impressed with his honesty and would like to share his thoughts with you. Feel free to leave any comments or feedback if you have any thoughts, I can share them with the class.


Nursing, a noble career that demands one’s commitment in enhancing proper way of living of the people. It is paramount to note that Nursing is involved in all aspects of life, thus from birth till death of an individual. Being on the wards has been a great experience despite the challenges faced along the way. This journal however depicts a scenario that I fully participated in trying to save the life of an innocent woman named Yaona.

It was a Friday during the late shift when Yaona was brought to Mukasa gynae ward as a trans-in from St. Monica’s female ward with the history of per vaginal bleeding. This patient was pregnant in her 7th month when she miscarried, she bled for two days and suddenly stopped. History recorded that she later continued bleeding yet the family hesitated to seek medical advice. Yaona was brought to St. Francis Hospital when the condition was actually worsening. Fact still remains that her life was in danger because she lost nearly 1000mLs of blood. I could see her gasping and I said a little prayer to God to have mercy in her. It was unfortunate that the in-charge nurse was out for her tea break.

Bearing in mind that my role was to check her vitals, I quickly checked her blood pressure, temperature, pulse, and respiration, everything was abnormal. I could sense death yet I realized my duty was to save her life. I then decided to take up the roles of my in-charge; I got the Doctor’s orders. The orders were for an oxygen concentrator and withdrawal of blood for cross-match and haemoglobin.

I gathered courage and withdrew blood and rushed to the laboratory. I managed to find the oxygen concentrator and, for the first time, administered oxygen. I could see Yaona slightly relieved though she still seemed dyspnoeic. She spoke in a local language “Nalema ine”, translated as “I am tired”. I felt like I was not doing the right thing yet I was. I could see her dextrose drip finishing. Then I decided to rush back to the laboratory for her blood; it was not ready then, I was helpless, my mouth was numb but my mind told me I could do something.

All what my reasoning could tell me was God was in control and that she will live. May Her Soul Rest in Peace. Yaona died at exactly 9pm, I was broken-hearted and the only thing I could do was to pray for God to welcome her.

No comments:

Post a Comment